Herman Miller and fuseproject's partnership was further extended with the formation of a multi product lighting arm. The Leaf lamp was the first lighting project for Herman Miller, and established an ongoing collaboration that lead to the creation of the Ardea and Twist lamp. fuseproject designed the brand strategy, product, logo, packaging and art direction of the new lighting business for the company.
By delivering best-class lighting ergonomics, we knew we could support Herman Miller to lead the category. Aiming to build upon the successful foundation established with Leaf, we extended the story of the Herman Miller lighting brand. Our approach with Herman Miller bridges technology with humanity. Inspired with nature, our minimal and refined design is matched by recycleable components. As LED Technology is changing at a rapid pace, it has become necessary to design for adaptability. In the instance of Leaf; literally adjusting from work light to reading light. Our focus has been to create iconic sculptural forms, ergonomic control systems, and advanced lighting technology.
The focus for design when creating these lamps was to demonstrate Herman Miller’s continued leadership in innovation, performance, and sustainability by using fewer raw materials and providing a lighting solution that’s efficient to operate and maintain. The LEAF lamp is an advanced LED task light that brings a new experience of light: it is the first lighting product that offers users the choice of warm mood light and cool work light. It is remarkably energy efficient, using 40% less energy than an equivalent compact fluorescent for the same light output. It's universal touch interface made the LEAF lamp a big success for Herman Miller both internationally and domestically, spawning several lower cost next generation products, including Ardea and Twist. Ardea is a new task light inspired by nature with minimal impact on the environment. Named after the great herons, Ardea displays similar versatility as the bird's necks that flex for hunting. The Twist LED task light is an energy-efficient, eco-friendly solution that provides value, simplicity and personal control for individual users. With its thin, tubular profile, the Twist LED task light is distinguished by its clean, simple aesthetics. Lightweight and easy to manipulate, its features characterize its name, Twist.
- Green GOOD Award, 2009
- Spark! Awards, Silver for Packaging, 2008
- Red Dot Design Award, 2008
- IDSA Business Week, Silver Excellence Awards for Strategy, 2007
- ID Magazine Annual Design Competition "Consumer Products, 2007
- Spark! Awards, Spark, 2007
- Organic Award, 2007
- Interiors and Sources Editors' Choice, 2006
- Building Magazine Editors' Choice, 2006
- Architectural Record Magazine Editors' Picks, 2006
- Interior Design, "Best of Year/Roscoe" Finalist, 2006
- Popular Science, "Best of What's New" Home Category, 2006
- Chicago Athenaeum, 2006
- CES Consumer Electronics, Honoree, 2006
- Building Magazine, "Grand Prize Award for Energy Efficiency," 2006
- Best of Neocon, Gold for Lighting, 2006
- Collections: Accessioned in the Musee National D'Art Moderne/Centre Pompidou, MoMA-New York, The Art Institute of Chicago